Oh yeah! There are ways that media influence education and success. If media did not have a positive effect on the learning abilities or testing scores (let's be honest that's all TEA cares about), then why are districts everywhere so keen on implementing technology and other medias such as these in the classroom. So much as they are actually included in our daily/weekly walk-throughs and yearly evaluations (I'd put PADAS but it's changing this year).
Speaking from personal experience, I have seen first hand how certain media such as Mimio Boards and IPADs increase engagement and retention of information from lessons. All that increases students grades, scores, and overall makes them want to come to school.The processes to learn through the groups that Bloom's and Kozma believe in all end the same way with evaluation. In the end, we are here for these students and even if certain media reaches just one child, then I say bring it in and use it baby! I'm team Kozma!


Latisha,
ReplyDeleteI am also Team Kozma! ;0) Media can engage students and enhance learning. It also provides tools to teach and differentiate for students. It also gives students different ways to create and demonstrate their learning. Nice tie in to Bloom's! I enjoyed your post. ;0) Jill
Great analogy Latisha! I love how you compared Kozma's ideas to Bloom's Taxonomy. I had not thought of that.
ReplyDelete~Valerie Daigre
Great post! I agree with Kozma as well. I like how you compared it to Bloom's Taxonomy and how they are both divided into groups. You made great points. Technology does increase student engagement.
ReplyDeleteNice! I get what you're saying, I just wonder/question the notion that administration (or anyone who is not a classroom teacher, for that matter) is actually always going for what's best in student learning. I would like to think that, but it hasn't always been my experience. That said, I believe students need to work with technology because that's what they'll use "forever." So that's good. But I also think you as the teacher know when to use what technology~
ReplyDelete