Saturday, June 25, 2016

Feeding the Reader

Feedly
I chose to use Feedly because for one it was free and two is was connected with google. It being connected with Google was the best because my email and my own blog are with Google. Once I login to Google it connects to all three. It’s easier to share and search through this website. I also find it fairly easy to navigate through.

The reason I chose each one of these blogs is written in their description. They each have a different aspect that I loved. Letters to a Young Librarian gives tips on job hunting and how to keep your library functioning. Library Displays provides ideas of unique and eye-catching displays for the library. School Library Journal is a book review blog that is constantly helping with book choices and suggestions for all types of readers. The Adventures of Library Girl is all about helping students meet academic goals as a librarian through reading. Elementary Librarian provides insight on lesson plans and how to help your library become more effective. I’m so excited to start using these in my own classroom library until I get my own library!

Letters to a Young Librarian
This blog provides advice and tips for new or seasoned librarians who need to adapt to the times. She also does these “Interview Posts” where it’s a series of questions on their position, their daily routine at work, and the best advice they ever received, so you get to see the different jobs in the library and from various locations.

Library Displays
This blog has a variety of library displays that are themed for holidays such as summer, Valentine’s, Christmas, etc. However, she also has displays for other days that promote awareness such as Zero Discrimination Day, National Poetry Day, Samoan Language, and other displays to celebrate their native culture in New Zealand. It also has some displays geared towards books that are movies, books that are true stories and certain challenges such as “Read the Alphabet” where students read a book for each letter of the alphabet in the month.

School Library Journal

This blog gives the latest on books, reviews, authors, and gives advice on choosing books. It also highlights librarians, contests, libraries, award winners, and resources for young readers. Plus it’s one of the top reliable reviews for books.

The Adventures of Library Girl
This blog is all geared towards benefiting the students and how we as librarians can help them. I particularly read one article, “Five Ways School Librarians Can Meet the Needs of Students of Poverty” where she explains how we can help students find a love for reading and help them with reading academically.

Elementary Librarian
This blog gives library lesson plans and ideas for an elementary library. It may not be TEKS aligned, however you can easily implement it. It also posts ways to collaborate with teachers, how to work your library such as center ideas, juggling class time and checkout, ipads and she has an “author spotlight.” She has a lot of ideas that are easy to have in your library, I especially like the post on Banned Books Week because it can be hard for elementary because of the age. Because of my Feedly account I can see the posts. If you go to the actual website then you can get free lessons.

Tumblr

Librarians are using tumblr as a social media outlet. It’s a way to communicate through pictures and adding comments or captions for the public. You can even attach it to other social medias such as twitter, facebook, and Instagram. It’s a way to advertise events, contests, and show pictures of activities going on in the library. It also gives other librarians ideas, such as displays, lessons, books, and activities. Librarians can even follow certain tumblr accounts, it’s another way of communication. I created one and am super excited! 

http://missvlikesbigbooks.tumblr.com/ 

3 comments:

  1. Great, informative post!
    I also follow Adventures of Library girl, her blog posts are easy to read and inspiring. You can really feel her love and desire to want the best for her students in her posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Latisha,

    Mentorship can come from some of the most unlikely places, even from faceless online posters. My grandmother used to say, "You can just about learn something from some of anybody, even a fool; they teach you how NOT to act..."

    I thoroughly enjoyed the "Letters to a Young Librarian" blog. Though maybe not "numerically young", as a brand new librarian, the practical, real world advice is extremely valuable. Thanks for the recommendation.
    Nice work!
    -Johtell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Tumblr is great, as is this blog! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete