Saturday, July 16, 2016

Broadcast the Podcast!

Author of the Week


To be quite honest, I had never pictured using podcasts in the classroom. I mean usually people who listen to podcasts are adults and are usually viewed as informational and boring. It's time to spice things up, especially in the classroom! No one likes the sound of their own voice more than kids! I am super excited to be able to begin using podcasts in the classroom and/or library! It'd be neat to have a library podcast posted maybe every week by students on the latest going on, kind of like the latest news. The challenges I do see are the editing, getting it right, that could be rather difficult at times. I like that it is another technological tool that can be heard from anywhere that is beneficial to the community. In my opinion the most difficult thing to do is finding a microphone that records your voice loud enough and finding a silent spot, however I really do see this as beneficial for students. They will absolutely love it. Here are some ways I plan on using podcast!

Weekly Updates: every Monday have recordings of what is coming up this week in the library and/or classroom. This would include reminders, schedules, schedule changes, activities, birthdays, events, or any other important news. 

Author of the Week: connect my Instagram: Famous Author Friday picture of the author with the name of the author, then post the link to the podcast for the Author of the Week (this will be for the next week of course) and the student can listen to information on the author for the next week, on the podcast I can tell them to look at the vine and I can create a vine on the authors books we will be using! Also tie in the book reviews. IT ALL CONNECTS! I LOVE CONNECTIONS! 

Special Shout Outs: special shout outs will be a positive quote or message to students or maybe even a "I want to send a special thank you to Mr. Ruben (who may always be a troublemaker) for helping me reshelf all the books. You were the best of help and I will definitely need you next week!" Mr. Ruben can go back home and show mom what positive shout out he received. Also this can help with teachers "Shout Out to Ms. V's class had the best line and quietest class in the library this week! You all shall receive a special read aloud story this week!" Students and teachers can get pumped! 


5 comments:

  1. Latisha,
    I like your ideas of how you plan to incorporate these in the library, especially the Author of the week. I agree that students would enjoy listening to these and creating their own author and book reviews. It is also a way to recognize students or volunteers too. Great post! ;0) Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Latisha,
    I really enjoyed listening to your podcast on author Patricia Polacco. This will be a great way to use podcast in the library and also get students excited about learning in a fun way. The special shout out messages or quotes would be fun for the students and faculty as well. I really like all your ideas. Great post!
    Buffie Smith

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right! When you think of Podcasts, you tend to think of adult usage. But there are several usages of Podcasts in the classroom. Thanks for sharing some of your ideas. I particularly like the Weekly Updates idea!

    ~Valerie Daigre

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your ideas of how to use podcasts in the classroom, especially the one on Author of the Week. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great ideas! And your podcast was great, too. She's a Michigan author-- that's how I know about her, but also her art and stories are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete