Bloom’s Digital
Taxonomy
In being familiar with the Bloom’s Taxonomy and it’s verbs for
learning in the classroom, it’s very interesting to see the difference in the verbiage
in the Digital Taxonomy. To be honest I didn’t even know there was a digital taxonomy,
and find it compelling to see that many of my students have already hit the
highest thinking in creating, whereas in other aspects in learning they are
still in applying or analyzing skills. Collaboration has changed from a skill to
essential shows how far we have come in the digital world which with many media
is all about communicating.
Kathy Schrock’s
Guide to Everything
Seeing the appealing posters she provides of Bloom’s taxonomy and apps
to support are very resourceful for educators. I know I have already saved a
few to share with my colleagues, technology in the classroom is a constant, so
seeing their digital cognition will be interesting to determine versus their regular
cognitive process. She makes everything very user friendly, showing the teacher
and student roles in digital cognition.
Prensky’s
Presentation
Prensky’s Presentation on the digital native was very powerful and
moving though only five minutes long. It made me really stop and think about my
students and how I have been teaching these past seven years. Here are some
things that I felt were really important and want to continue to use as an
educator:
Children are the hearts of matter; we are preparing our students for
21st century success. As an educator ask these three questions:
Who are our students?
How do we engage them and with them?
How do we continue to engage them and with them?
They are different for what we are prepared to teach, there is more
technology and they would rather deal with that then read a book. Teachers look
at technology as a tool and digital natives look at it as a foundation because it’s
integrated in everything people do. Young people have emerged technology to
what it is today, and as educators we have to be up to date with what is going
on online because that is what the kids are all about. They don’t want to adapt
to the past, this is now the 21st century. Making education more
connected with community and what technology is now rather than how we have
learned in the past.
Prensky’s
Video on Digital Natives
Bloom’s, Kathy,
& Prensky
Prensky believes in a digital world where technology is a part of
life, whereas educators see it as a tool. Bloom’s helps educators be able to
evaluate and further student’s digital cognition. Kathy shows what the role of
a teacher and student stand within bloom’s taxonomy. They all really support
each other and are guides to help learning more engaging for students. Along
with helping educators change and become more comfortable with digital education
and become 21st century educators.
Listen to the
natives
With students being far more technologically advanced than many
educators and constantly rushing to become 21st century learners,
educators must learn to keep up.
Digital natives refer to today’s students. They are native to technology,
digital language of computers, video games and the Internet. Those of us who
are not that familiar with today’s technological advances are referred to as “digital
immigrants.” Things will be changing and students will be evolving so quickly,
but we as educators need to keep up.
Instead of shunning or stifling the new age of technological
learning, we must embrace it, no matter how uncomfortable it may be. Educators
must practice engaging students with what they are familiar and excited about
which is technology. We need to take advantage of the latest technology and
learn how to use it more effectively, this involves librarians and
administration.
In order for all this to be possible collaboration is essential,
working with your students’ needs. Working with colleagues and administration
to best provide the technological solutions to any problems that may occur.
Much of the curriculum is stifling students to proceed and advance in
today’s world. We are so glued to the past that it is keeping students from
becoming 21st century learners. Students are eager to learn with
more advanced technology and want to be challenged with that for its
interesting and engaging to them.
Beloit’s College’s
Mindset List
Beloit College lists events or things that have been on the planet
for a certain graduating class. Also some things that will make people cringe
with translations of a few expressions. It really shows how much has changed
and how they will continue to change, hopefully for the better.
My thoughts
I believe Prensky nipped it in the bud, when he said that there is a
fundamental difference between students and teachers when it comes to technology.
I as a teacher, do see technology as a tool not as an essential. I’m used to
the “old school ways” of books and notes, etc. When something goes wrong with
my computer, or I don’t understand how to do something, my little fourth grade
students help me figure it out. It’s amazing what they know and the fact that
they are always up to date with the latest fads in technology. I still don’t
have a personal IPAD; I see no need for it. My students tell me they can do
their homework on there and have showed me how. I find it fascinating that they
are able to show me how to implement the technology they are familiar with into
my educating them because it will help them actually want to do it.
Reflection
I feel it is very necessary to breakdown technology the way Bloom’s
and Kathy did. It definitely helps those educators who aren’t very familiar
with technology and the digital world. This will assist them in being able to
become more comfortable with the unfamiliar. Technology in class is seen as a
tool, whereas students see it as a part of life. It will help technology become
a part of teaching instead of a tool you use every now and then when need be. I
do not think there is a difference between Prensky, Bloom’s and Kathy, in fact
I believe they all are supporting each other for the same goal. They do break
it down in different ways, Prensky tells gives you the introduction and what
you need to do, Bloom’s breaks it down and gives your specific verbs to use,
and Kathy lets you know what role the teacher and student has in the process of
Bloom’s. Before, I would have felt that technology is a tool for learning, however
after all these articles, my views have changed. I believe this is the
foundation which we need to build for our education. We need to as educators
have students more engaged which will promote learning and keep them learning
throughout the year if we continue to keep up with it. A librarian is essential
for technology because they are the ones that provide the technology in the
classroom. Librarians can also promote and support technology in the library
and with the community that enters it. Having lessons with students and helping
them use some of the digital advances in research or other activities done in
the library also help. Collaboration is essential and an educator needs the librarian
when it comes to technology in order for it to be effective.
Refernces
Bloomin' Apps. (n.d.). Retrieved June 09, 2016, from http://www.schrockguide.net/bloomin-apps.html
Churches, A. (2009). Bloom's Digital Taxonomy.
L. (2013). Marc Prensky - Digital Natives. Retrieved June 09, 2016, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRR76Mz9NII
Prensky, M. (2005, December). Listen to the Natives. Educational Leadership, 63(4), 8-13.
The Mindset List: 2019 List. (n.d.). Retrieved June 09, 2016, from https://www.beloit.edu/mindset/2019/



Very informative post on Bloom's and Prensky's ideas. I agree with you that Prensky hit the nail on the head when he says there is a digital gap between teachers and students. That leaves us something to work on...
ReplyDeleteI LOVED Kathy Schrock’s iPad Apps to Support Bloom’s Revised Taxonomy. I couldn’t wait to share that with my team! I agree that collaboration between a teacher and the librarian is important. Too many teachers view it as extra work and “just another person they have to plan with”. I don’t think many teachers understand the how “tech-savvy” librarians are now, and how much value they can contribute to a lesson.
ReplyDeleteI like your heading "Listen to the Natives." As teachers it can be difficult to listen. We are so used to facilitating and providing instruction. However, when we learn to listen, learning becomes reciprocal; both teacher and student can learn from one another.
ReplyDeleteThe IPAD Apps is my absolute favorite and as soon as I saw it I shared with my coworkers because we spent several hours this school year agonizing on whether the apps on the IPADS fit the rigor that our principal and school district wanted. It was great to have a "cheat sheet"
ReplyDelete