Saturday, April 15, 2017

Fantasy & Science Fiction


Stories that go against the physical reality fall into this genre.
There’s something for everyone.
Science fiction falls into fantasy.
Resource: Sci Fi on the Fly by: Karin Perry
Different sub-genres

1.      Apocalyptic: end of civilization from a catastrophe, what happens to people as they live through the changes
2.      Post-Apocalyptic: after the catastrophe; primitive setting
3.      Steampunk: technology it features steam powered; Victorian era
4.      Cyberpunk: relationship between humans and computers, sinister feel
5.      Biopunk: manipulating DNA or brain, viruses, dark atmosphere, genetic engineering
6.      Dystopia: for teens, propaganda, figure being worshiped, individuality stifled resistance to government
7.      Extra-Sensory Perception: associated with telepathy, clairvoyance, precognition
8.      Robots/Androids/Cyborg/&  Artificial Intelligence
9.      Time Travel/Parallel Universes
10.  Virtual Reality/ Gaming: get lost in the world

Criteria for Evaluating Science Fiction and Fantasy for Children


  1. Characters have to behave in consistent and believable ways.
  2. There must still be rules
  3. Authors need to help readers in the “willing suspension of disbelief.”
  4. The themes should explore universal truths.
Reflection
I learned that science fiction is a part of fantasy and now that I think of that it makes complete sense. There are so many cool titles that were mentioned in the video that I need to go back and write them down to read. I really don’t read many of these books, but really need to reevaluate my choices because if I can explain a book the way Dr. Perry did then I will be able to assist students in choosing these titles better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment