10. Realistic Fiction
Getting confused with realistic fiction and other
sub-genres that are similar happen every day. I know in my teachings, I already
see how I’ve wronged my students in misleading them on certain titles. Knowing
the criteria once again brings clarity to not only us librarians but can also
help teachers. Realistic fiction should be more carefully looked at because of
the fact that they cover such serious subjects now.
11. Nonfiction
Many libraries may have difficulty
having their nonfiction books checked out due to the fact that they set up
their library in fiction and nonfiction. I know my current library does.
However, if we stop and begin turning students into more nonfiction readers and
use the questions above with the kids will definitely benefit all parties.
12. Fantasy/Science Fiction
I learned that science
fiction is a part of fantasy and now that I think of that it makes complete
sense. There are so many cool titles that were mentioned in the video that I
need to go back and write them down to read. I really don’t read many of these
books, but really need to reevaluate my choices because if I can explain a book
the way Dr. Perry did then I will be able to assist students in choosing these
titles better.
13. Graphic Novels
Graphic novels I have noticed have been becoming more popular with many
kids. They see it as a comic book. Being familiar with the parts of a graphic
novel and educating students on the specific parts can open their eyes to a
different format. Showing the different books that are graphic novels, not only
“boyish” there are books that are girly such as “Baby Mouse.” I really need to
be become more open to graphic novels.
No comments:
Post a Comment